Last night on Facebook, Sara asked for a good sugar cookie recipe. Several great ones were offered, but I had to laugh because the one I always use calls for sour cream. Hmmm…any Sisters and Misters have some extra Breakstone’s in the fridge after last week’s sale? 🙂
Anyway, I thought it was a perfect opportunity to share the recipe and play with our new “toy” for publishing recipes on the site. It should make the recipes easy to save for later and print out–let us know what you think! I’ll add a picture after I (finally) get around to making mine…hopefully this weekend!
- 1 c. shortening
- 1 c. sour cream
- 2 c. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 4 cups flour (that's what the recipe calls for, but I find that using ½-3/4 c. extra makes it easier to roll out!)
- 2 eggs
- Combine dry ingredients, mix in remaining ingredients until well mixed.
- Chill at least 1 hour.
- Add enough flour to handle (you may need up to another ½-3/4 cup as you start rolling it out if it's at all sticky).
- Roll out and cut into shapes.
- Bake at 350 for 6-9 min (depending on thickness) till bottoms are barely brown--tops will still be white.
- Makes 8-10 dozen depending on size of cookie cutters