Quinoa Mac and Cheese
Quinoa Mac and Cheese is an easy way to pack a lot of protein and make a childhood favorite healthier. This recipe was made by my very good friend and fellow teacher, Sarah. I’m always checking out her lunch and complementing the things she makes. Soooo, I guilted her into sharing with the Sisters & Misters community! She even brought some in for me to taste – SO good! She adapted this recipe from Moni Meals.
Serves: 4 - 6
- 1 ½ cups quinoa, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- 2 eggs (large)
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (non-fat)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease 8 ramekins or a 2-qt baking dish; set aside.
- Cook quinoa with water according to package directions; if using a steamer, place water and quinoa in steamer and cook for 20 minutes, or until water is absorbed.
- Let quinoa stand 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together eggs, milk, yogurt, mustard, salts, and pepper in large bowl.
- Stir in quinoa and 2 cups cheese.
- Pour into prepared baking dish or dishes for single serves
- Sprinkle additional 1 cup cheese over top.
- Bake 25-35 mins, or until just browned around edges and quinoa mixture looks dry and set.