Here’s another great chicken recipe to get us ready for Zaycon chicken next week (or just to keep on hand for whenever boneless skinless chicken breast is on sale!). It’s a recipe that looks like more work than it really is. A little prep work with the chicken breasts helps these cheese-filled chicken rolls go together quickly. For company, you can prepare them ahead of time and refrigerate, then just pop them in the oven a half hour before dinner. It’s a great one for when you’re taking dinner to someone else too–make extra and cook them in a separate pan, and you can make dinner for two families at once! It’s also pretty easily adaptable to whatever kinds of cheese and spices you like; we usually do ours with mozzarella and Italian seasonings in the breading, but you can switch it up based on what you have and what your family likes.
Start with boneless skinless chicken breasts, and trim off any excess fat. Slice each chicken breast in half as shown in the picture above, so that you have two thin pieces. Then use a mallet or rolling pin to pound them a little thinner (cover the chicken with wax paper or plastic wrap before you pound so the chicken juice doesn’t get everywhere!). Cut each thin piece in half width-wise so you can make two rolls with each thin piece (a total of four rolls per chicken breast).
Roll each piece of chicken around a piece of cheese. Place each roll in a baking pan, seam side down. When all the rolls are in the pan, drizzle a little olive oil over them, then sprinkle them with a mixture of breadcrumbs and the seasonings of your choice (I use garlic powder, oregano, salt & pepper). Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes, until done.
The finished product is lightly-breaded on the outside, with gooey melted cheese on the inside. One of these is a perfect portion for my kids, but bigger appetites could easily put away two. Round out the meal with some rice or a baked potato and some veggies, and you’ve got a great meal!
Here’s a more condensed version of the recipe to print or save:
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- cheese of your choice (I use mozzarella), cut into approx. ½' x ½' x 2' sticks
- olive oil
- about ½ cup bread crumbs
- seasonings of your choice: garlic, oregano, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, etc.
- Slice chicken breasts to make them half as thick.
- Cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and pound with a mallet or rolling pin
- Cut each thin piece in half width-wise
- Wrap each piece of chicken around a piece of cheese, and put seam-side down in a baking dish
- Drizzle olive oil over chicken rolls, then sprinkle with breadcrumb/seasoning mixture
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes, until done