With the weather getting colder this week, it feels like soup weather to me! This Broccoli Cheese Soup recipe is one that both kids and adults seem to like, and it’s fairly simple to prepare. To simplify things even more, I usually use the broccoli that steams in the microwave. I sometimes throw in some Velveeta cheese with the cheddar, or even add fine noodles for a change. Soup recipes are fun to play around with and customize to your family’s tastes, but here’s my jumping off point:
Serves: 8 servings
- 6 T butter
- 6 T flour
- 4½ cups chicken stock
- 4½ cups milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups broccoli
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large pot. Whisk in flour and stir for two minutes until bubbly.
- Add chicken stock, milk, salt, and pepper and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli and set aside.
- After 10 minutes, gradually mix cheese into the soup.
- Add the cooked broccoli and cook for 5 more minutes. Serves 8
I usually serve this with a loaf of homemade bread and fresh fruits and veggies–a yummy meal, and easier to make than it seems!