Borax Crystal Snowflakes perfect for your Disney Frozen inspired birthday party, holidays or snow day fun!
I did Borax Crystals Snowflakes with my sixth graders before Christmas break and they loved it. I thought it would be cool to do with my girls too, ages 5 and 7. They thoroughly enjoyed the project too. In fact, they wanted to make the ornaments for ALL of the family as Christmas gifts. If you want to get into the science of it, it’s a great lesson on solutions, mixtures, solids, liquids, concentrations……alright I’ll just get to the FUN of it!
We’ll be having a FROZEN themed day for our snow day today! The laundry can wait….
Here’s what you’ll need
*Large Plastic Cups
*Fishing Line or Thin Ribbon
*Pipe Cleaners or Chenille Sticks
*Borax Laundry Detergent
*Pencil or Popsicle Stick
*Hot Water (I used a large coffee pot)
1. Cut the pipe cleaners or chenille sticks into thirds
2. Arrange into a snowflake shape
3. Create a Loop with fishing line
4. Create a tiny hook on top of one of the longer prongs
5. Place loop string in the hook
6. Pinch tight
1. Pour hot water about 2/3 full in a plastic cup (don’t ruin your glass cups – crystals will form on bottom and sides)
2. Place about 1/4 cup of Borax in (can use slightly more, it just works faster)
3. Stir and dissolve
*I tried adding food coloring to the mixture and it did not work very well. You could hardly notice color in the crystals. You’re better off skipping this step and either coloring the pipe cleaners with markers or getting colored piped cleaners. I had my sixth graders color the pipe cleaners.
1. Wrap fishing line or ribbon around a pencil or popsicle stick (sometimes multiple times)
2. Suspend in solution (try not to allow it to touch sides or bottom)
3. Let cool for a few hours and watch the Borax Crystal Snowflakes appear!
*The more Borax and the cooler the chilling environment, the quicker crystals appear.
To round out our Disney Frozen Theme Day, I also have a few of the following activities planned!
- Disney’s Frozen Birthday Party – Snowflake Sugar Cookies
- Disney Frozen Birthday Party – Homemade Marshmallows
- Disney Frozen Birthday Party – Decoration Ideas
- Disney Frozen Birthday Party – Snack Ideas
- Disney Frozen Coloring Sheets – Anna, Elsa, Kristoff
- Disney Frozen Olaf Cut & Paste Printable (or template for pin the Carrot on Olaf)
- Disney Frozen Borax Crystals Craft
- Disney Frozen Inspired Birthday Cupcakes