Walmart guru Paul from I Heart The Mart emailed with more clarification on some of the questions that were raised after he shared his strategy for using Walmart’s Layaway to make scoring Black Friday deals easier. See all the details HERE in the original post, and check out these points to get the most out of this strategy.
- Walmart Layaway is SUPPOSED to be open from 9-9 on Black Friday. They do allow store managers to make adjustments based on store needs. If yours isn’t that sucks and I’m sorry!
- Walmart Black Friday “Special Buy” items will have different bar codes for the most part so items like TV’s Computers, Blu Ray Players and Movies will most likely not be able to use the Layaway Black Friday Strategy. It will work on Games and toys because those items should not have the special bar codes.
- Competitor Black Friday items that Walmart carries will be able to use this strategy. For example: Target has Model XOXO776 in their Black Friday ad AND walmart carries Model XOXO776, you can put that item on Layaway and Price Match ON Black Friday (if your store is open) provided the sale time has not ENDED. It will have to be deleted to get the lower price.
- Do not confuse start times with end times. Walmart will have 3 sales going on at the same time, they may run out of stock but the sale is still running. If your item is in Layaway it is IN stock.
- **Walmart Items** The registers are what determines what price the item is sold at, if an item is in Layaway you do not technically buy it until you pay off the layaway item. The registers AUTOMATICALLY give you the sale price if you close it out during a sale period. So do not worry about deleting items from layaway or any other nonsense, if you have it in layaway you have it in stock. The last two bullet points cover the ” Walmart will only PM BF items that start in Event 3? Event 1 and 2 End Friday at Midnight, the registers don’t know anything except for the times the sales run, if you have the item you will get the lower price. Period.
- It is my understanding that Walmart sent a memo that they will Price Match Online Competitor Prices during the holiday season IF that competitor has a Brick and Mortar presence in that area. My store confirmed it, YMMV
So in summary, this the whole layaway/pay things off on Black Friday thing won’t work on “Special Buy” items, since they’ll have the different UPCs. But it looks like this strategy should still work for some of those mid-priced items that aren’t the insane doorbusters, but are still great deals. It’ll also work on EXACT matches for competitor’s ads, but make sure both the item and the sale times will match. Check with your local Walmart to make sure their hours for Layaway pick-up on Black Friday. They’re supposed to open at 9 a.m., but local stores may vary.
Here’s Paul’s video that does a great job of explaining things:
Thanks again SO MUCH to Paul from I Heart the Mart for doing a fantastic job of digging up this information, and for clarifying it so well! We really appreciate it!
Coupons procured by Savings.com