After all the sweets available at Christmas time, I start to look forward to some of my delicious savory favorites for New Year’s Eve. Our annual party is a little unconventional, since it includes at least 13 kids ranging in age from 2-7. We start our party around dinner time, have a fake countdown around 9:30 using a YouTube video of last year’s ball drop, then all the kids get in jammies and hopefully fall asleep on the ride home. Wild and crazy it’s not, but it works for us, and we all get to celebrate together and enjoy some good food. Here are a few yummy, easy-to-prepare recipes, and some coupons to help stretch the budget.
- Chicken wing pieces (thawed if frozen)
- salt, pepper, and other seasonings of choice
- 1 bottle favorite BBQ sauce
- Arrange wing pieces on a cookie sheet (one with sides to catch the juices).
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, and other seasonings of choice (poultry seasoning, Lawry's, garlic, dry rub, etc.)
- Bake in a 375° oven for 20-30 minutes, checking for doneness (juices will run clear with no pink when pierced by a fork).
- Place baked wings in a crock pot and cover with BBQ sauce. Simmer in crock pot on low for an hour or longer. Serve from the crock pot to keep them warm through your party.
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon savory herb with garlic soup mix (or other favorite Italian seasoning mix)
- 1/4 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Combine the sour cream, ricotta, soup mix and pepperoni in a saucepan; heat through.
- Stir in mozzarella and Parmesan cheese just until melted.
- Serve warm with french bread, pita chips or the following bread stick recipe:
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out pizza crust to a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Brush with oil.
- Combine the Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper; sprinkle over dough.
- Cut into 3-in. x 1-in. strips; place on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 425° for 6-9 minutes or until golden brown.
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (1 Green Giant box)
- 14 oz. can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1 15 oz. jar alfredo pasta sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 8 oz. cream cheese (1 block)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Spread in a baking dish and top with a little extra mozzarella cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Serve with tortilla chips, bagel chips, or pita chips.
- Wood skewers
- Fruit of your choice, cut into bite-sized pieces (grapes, strawberries, pineapple, melon, etc.)
- Alternate types of fruit on skewers.
- Serve with assorted fruit dips (suggestions: caramel apple dip, chocolate Philly Indulgence, or whip together softened cream cheese, marshmallow fluff, and a dash of cinnamon!)