A few weeks ago, I mentioned making donuts in my mini donut maker, and we brainstormed some healthier donut options on Facebook. Healthier donuts are all well and good, but if it’s not still a yummy donut, why bother, right? I decided to try adapting a banana oat muffin recipe to see if we could do both, and I think we have a winner. You could certainly do it without the chocolate chips if you prefer, but I’ll warn you–they’re delightfully melty and delicious when the muffins or donuts are warm. Consider me firmly planted in the “with chocolate chips” camp!
*One other note…I made these with both oats and flour, but you could easily make them Gluten Free by replacing the remaining flour with more ground oats or another GF flour. If you’re doing GF due to Celiac or a gluten sensitivity, just remember that standard oats can have trace amounts of gluten in them–look for certified gluten free labeling!
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup ground oats (I put regular oats in a blender and pulsed until they were about the consistency of flour)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (you could probably leave this out or use less to make them a little healthier)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup applesauce (in place of oil in the original recipe--you could use oil if you like)
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini chips would be great, but I used regular)
- Beat the egg lightly, then mix in the milk, applesauce, vanilla, and banana.
- Combine the dry ingredients, then add them to the mixture. Stir until just combined (do not overmix)
- For muffins, scoop into a lined muffin tin, and bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
- For donuts, place batter in a donut maker or donut pan, and bake according to the product's directions (for reference, my Babycakes donut maker took a heaping tablespoon of batter per donut, and they baked for 4-5 minutes)
- For me, a double recipe yielded 24 muffins and about 12 mini donuts